The Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Distinguished Artist Award is Alberta's most prestigious recognition of outstanding achievement in the arts.
Up to three awards of $30,000 each are awarded every other year (odd years). Recipients also receive a hand-cast medal, a pin, a framed citation, and, where appropriate, a two-week residency at The Banff Centre Leighton Artists Colony.
The awards will be presented by the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta at a gala celebration in Maskwacis on Saturday, September 21, 2019.
Any individual or organization may nominate artists for a Distinguished Artist Award. Self-nominations, posthumous nominations, and nominations from family members, however, will not be considered. Nominations are not carried forward from previous competitions.
- Canadian citizens
- Current Alberta residents or those who have had a significant connection to the province over time
- Artists who have achieved excellence in their discipline
- Arts supporters and builders who have contributed in a major way to the arts in Alberta
Definition of Arts
For the purposes of this award, Arts includes the following:
- The Performing Arts, including without limitation: the creators, composers, choreographers, interpreters, and performers in music, dance, theatre and opera.
- The Visual Arts, including without limitation: painting, print making, sculpture, performance and installation art, photography, new media and fine craft.
- Cinematic Arts, including without limitation: film and video drama, documentary and art film/video
- Literary Arts, both English and French, including without limitation: novel, short story, blended genres, poetry, drama and creative non-fiction
Online nominations require the following:
- Complete contact information for the nominee
- Complete contact information for the nominator
- A written case of no more than three pages detailing why the nominee should receive the award
- A current CV for the nominee
Award recipients are selected by a national adjudication panel overseen by The Banff Centre, the awards secretariat.
Nominations must be complete and submitted no later than midnight MDT Sunday, March 31, 2019.